\begin{enumerate}
\item
\end{enumerate}

Is totally legitimate in LaTeX. So I am wondering why LyX automatically removes empty list items.

In LyX one has to enter and ERT with {} or a note or so in order to keep the item. This seems cumbersome. And it is needed in order to, for example, start an "indented environment" directly after the first, e.g. to get

\begin{enumerate}
\item
\begin{enumerate}
\item
\end{enumerate}
\end{enumerate}

in LyX one has to create

\begin{enumerate}
\item {}
\begin{enumerate}
\item
\end{enumerate}
\end{enumerate}

I guess there is a reason why LyX behaves as it does with empty list items but I fail to see it at the moment. Maybe someone can give the reason or direct me to some discussion about this?

Daniel