On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 12:05:00PM +0200, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

> > Would it help to remove just the "OT1" leaving "TeX default, no fontenc"?
> > * texperts know the TeX default is OT1
> > * texpert know the default can be changed and fontenc (as any package) can
> >   be loaded by a package or class
> > * tex-ignorants will not be helped with "OT1".
> >

> I'd prefer something such as "Class Defaults"

I think that the old "None (no fontenc)" was more than adequate.
This tells that *LyX* is not going to select any encoding.

> > My incentive was to clear the confusion with
> >    <LyX global default> != <LaTeX default>
> > in a GUI dialog where otherwise "Default" stands for <LaTeX default>.
> >

> I understand your rationale, and agree.

For that goal, I would have suggested to simply change "Default"
to "LyX Default". I don't have any idea of what is meant for
"Global Default". Such controversial changes should not be performed
without discussion.

--
Enrico