On 2016-10-22, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 05:16:49PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>> Le 22/10/2016 à 17:15, Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
>> > If you ask me, I think that 99.99% of users didn't change that default.
>> > If someone was needing a different encoding, it is much more likely that
>> > he stumbled upon the custom setting in the document settings dialog
>> > rather than that setting in the preferences.

>> How bad can it become for someone who has changed the setting?

> The main differences between OT1 and T1 are explained here:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/664/why-should-i-use-usepackaget1fontenc

> If one changed it to OT1, now he would find that bitmapped fonts are
> being used. Most probably he did that for getting vector fonts and
> now his workaround is defeated.

This is something we could/should address in [Automatic].

> However, more damage can result if one selected T2A as a default
> and the default setting is converted to T1 due to lack of that info.

This will normally not hurt, as LyX automatically adds T2A font encoding for
Cyrillic characters.
The only (hypothetical) instance would be the selection in the
user preamble of a font that only exists in T2A encoding in documents with
parts in a Latin-written language.

Günter