On 01/11/2017 03:57 PM, Guenter Milde wrote:

I propose to place "notepad" at the end of the text editor selection list:

      checkViewerEditor('a text editor',
          ['xemacs', 'gvim', 'kedit', 'kwrite', 'kate',
-         'nedit', 'gedit', 'notepad',
-         'geany', 'leafpad', 'mousepad', 'xed'],
+         'nedit', 'gedit', 'geany', 'leafpad', 'mousepad', 'xed', 'notepad'],

  * Notepad under Wine is not a good choice for Linux
    (but comes with wine by default)
  * Windows users will not have the Linux programs and not be disturbed.
    An exception is "geany" that may also be present under Windows.
    If this is an issue, we can put "geany" at the end, too.

My default image viewer would be gimp, which I find much too cumbersome
just for looking at an image.
Here, I propose to add the most common image viewers to the selection list:

-    path, iv = checkViewerNoRC('a raster image viewer', ['xv', 'kview',
'gimp-remote', 'gimp'], rc_entry = [imageformats])
-    path, ie = checkEditorNoRC('a raster image editor', ['gimp-remote',
'gimp'], rc_entry = [imageformats])
+    path, iv = checkViewerNoRC('a raster image viewer',
+        ['xv', 'kview', 'eog', 'xviewer', 'ristretto', 'gpicview',
'lximage-qt',
+         'gimp-remote', 'gimp'],
+        rc_entry = [imageformats])
+    path, ie = checkEditorNoRC('a raster image editor',
+        ['gimp-remote', 'gimp'], rc_entry = [imageformats])

  eog:         Eye of Gnome, the Gnome default viewer
  xviewer:     Eye of Gnome successor for MATE and Cinnamon
  ristretto:   XFCE image viewer
  gpicview:    LXDE image viewer
  lximage-qt:  QXDE image viewer
Possible other additions:

  gwenview:    KDE image viewer
xdg-open: generic file handler The problem with xdg-open is, that it calls the browser
              (firefox) as fallback. This is not good for DVI and PDF, but
              may be better than Gimp for raster images.

Günter

Thanks Günter. This would work well for me. I personally would neither need nor benefit from xdg-open if the X-Apps were placed this way.

Paul