On 2017-04-08, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> El 07.04.2017 a las 10:26, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes escribió:

>> First we should remove our LyX developers hat and see that the text
>> layout is the layout of all elements on the page (not
>> everything-that-is-not-mathed). In this respect, your new option really
>> fits here.

> But this is what I try to look through the eyes of a user. The menu is
> named "text layout" so why should the layout of formulas belong to "text
> layout" and not to math?

I am  with Uwe here: the decision whether display formulas are centered or
left aligned is IMV (with the user hat on) a "mathematical" setting.
I would never expect it under "text"!

> You mention math fonts, but I think under the "Fonts" menu people will
> look for any kind of fonts. Under "text" they will look for text and
> under "math" the math stuff. This is also the way I look in other
> programs that I use as a non-developer without any background knowledge
> (e.g. LibreOffice).

Indeed.

> But OK, I moved it now as you requested.

>> Second, the math options pane is really about what particular math
>> features should be available for a document.

> This is new to me. I never understood it as such. For me that are simply
> the settings that only affects math.

Seconded - the "math" tab is for settings I don't need when my documents do
not contain math.

More important for me is, that the "fleqn" option is not about
indentation but "left align formulas" ("linksbündig" opposed to the
default centering).

However, if we cannot agree where the "fleqn" setting belongs, it may be
better to keep it as a custom document option (i.e. revert the patch).

Günter