On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> Supporting an MFC frontend would probably mean that somebody has to have
> a full-blown Windows installation complete with compiler etc. not only
> right now, but in the future, too.
>
> Compare this to using some cross-platform toolkit together with a
> cross-compiler and e.g. Wine/vmware/whatever for debugging...

I also never said we couldn't do both.

> > > I think I have mentioned it already: if there is a real demand for
> > > 'LyX under Windows without X' we should try to create a Tk GUI.
> >
> > What's this "we" business?
> >
> > ;-)
>
> Well... _I_ have some code hanging around from older projects as well as
> from my current project that could help to pave the way (C++ wrapper for
> Tcl objects, the cross compilation part, creation of .lib and .dll as well
> Windows "setup.exe" programs under Unix...), and I am willing to
> contribute that. But I certainly won't do any actual GUI coding (I am
> pretty fed up with GUIs currently).

Too right,  roll on newt port!

> Does that make the "'we' business" clearer? ;-)

So you want me (who knows sweet f.a. about GUIs) to do the GUI coding?
I just come up with cool ideas and struggle with them while trying to
convince the world what a great idea it is.  Then when someone smarter
comes along I can hand over to them and the find another cool idea to work
on.  Maybe you should talk to Martin Vermeer about a Tcl/Tk port.

Allan. (ARRae)