Asger> 1) requires licenses for Qt on Windows for all developers that
Asger> work on the windows port. It's not enough that Kalle has one,
Asger> because otherwise we will never achieve momentum enough to
Asger> support the port: One man is not enough.

Also, it makes it impossible to attract new people in the easy path:
one small patch, then a bigger one...

Asger> 2) requires MFC. This implies having Visual C++, or some
Asger> similar development platform with MFC. I know the free (as in
Asger> beer) Borland C++ compiler can compile MFC, but I'm not sure it
Asger> is included with the compiler. Since Visual C++ is the de-facto
Asger> standard compiler on Windows, this might stand a better chance
Asger> of gaining enough momemtum to support the port. (Cygwin can not
Asger> compile MFC, and probably never will since it's not API
Asger> compatible).

I thought that, for the wine project, Corel funded some gcc
developments geared in particular at being able to compile MFC
applications.

Asger> 3) is comparable in effort to a Motif port: There is basically
Asger> no help from the toolkit: You have to code everything by hand,
Asger> and implement all message handlers for each dialog by hand. In
Asger> other words: A lot of work. The good side is that you can use
Asger> either the true free Cygwin C++ or the free as in beer Borland
Asger> compiler.

Yes, this would be a very difficult path.

BTW, what is the choice made for abiword under windows?