On 03/15/2018 11:45 AM, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Am 14.03.2018 um 04:31 schrieb Richard Heck:
>
>> If this dialog is popped at the very beginning of the installation,
>> before ANYTHING is actually done, then it is impossible that the
>> MiKTeX installation
>> should be affected.
>
> This is not true and I don't get why I cannot make this clear to you.

I was talking about whether anything would happen *as a result of
someone running
the installer*. I understand that there are *other* ways that the MiKTeX
installation can
be damaged, as happened to your mother. That is a really horrible MiKTeX
bug, and
there is nothing we can do about it.

> I decided that I cannot stand for an installer that can send many
> users into serious
> troubles despite I know a way to prevent this.

The only issue here is: Do we add a dialog of the sort in question? The
installer with
that dialog cannot cause any new problems, because either: (1) the
person installs LyX
and it updates MiKTeX just as you want; (2) the person does not install
LyX, in which
case they are in the same situation they were before, because the
installer was a no-op.
Granted, they might screw up their MiKTeX installation eventually, but
that is a
MiKTeX bug and ought to be dealt with at that level.

> The installer for LyX 2.3.1 will return to the old behavior.

Why? Won't that just break the installations of people still using 2.2.3?

Richard