On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 03:40:01PM +0000, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> On 03/16/2018 10:09 AM, Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> >> Yes, this was kind of clear and pretty much everyone on this list
> >> thinks that
> >> we should not do such things hiddenly without advertising.
> >
> > This is not hidden. As you have seen, I already pop up a dialog
> > telling that the installer will now upgrade your package handling
> > system. This dialog is necessary because depending on when users
> > upgraded their MiKTeX the last time, this can take up to 5 minutes. I
> > have to pop up this dialog because if users would close the installer
> > meanwhile they surely end up with a broken MiKTeX.
>
> The thing no one understands is why you won't ASK the user if you can do
> this rather than TELLING them that you are going to do so.

> I think you
> underestimate the intelligence of LyX's users.

I agree. I think there is some conflation of "inexperienced user" with
"unintelligent" user. I believe that most of the Windows LyX users are
intelligent (I mean, they're choosing to use LyX right? That's got to
give them some points). I actually think that even an unintelligent user
would be more likely to benefit from the dialog than to be harmed by it.
If they are not able to understand the dialog, then they would likely
never be able to fix any potential problem that a MiKTeX update could
bring.

> It's not enough to add a note to the release announcement. No one reads
> that.

I agree. I think Uwe was responding to Pavel's point about doing things
"without advertising", and it is true that Uwe has suggested several
times to advertise it in the release notes and announcement. Since my
argument is focused on the average user, I am even more concerned with
only mentioning it in the release announcement and release notes since I
think that average users are less likely to read the release
announcement than experienced users.

Scott