On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 01:45:48PM -0500, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> On 3/1/19 12:46 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:27:06PM -0500, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> >
> > > Is this in 2.3.2? (FWIW, the version I have lists the build
> > > date as 12/08/18.)
> > Yes the setting does apply for 2.3.x
> >
> > You can just test with the following added to your preferences file:
> >
> >    \use_native_filedialog false
> >
> > and also try with
> >
> >    \use_native_filedialog true
> >
> > Any difference in behavior regarding this bug, between those two?
> Yes and no. On my desktop (where the problem does not manifest), neither of
> those statements has any effect. Not only does the problem not occur, but
> the file dialog layout/appearance does not change with either.
>
> On my laptop (where the problem does manifest), the true setting matches
> what is currently happening (with no setting in preferences), while the
> false setting switches the dialog layout to match that of my desktop and
> /gets rid of the problem/ (.tex files appear as expected).
>
> That still leaves unanswered why it happens one place and not the other with
> the same version of LyX (as best I can tell). I searched both ~/.lyx and
> /usr/share/lyx (including subdirectories) on both laptop and desktop, and
> \use_native_filedialog does not appear anywhere.
> >
> > By the way, is the bug 100% reproducible on the system that has it?
> Yes.
> >   Can
> > you see *any* .tex files?
> No. With the default filter (.tex), only subdirectories appear; no files do.
> >   Does it depend on the directory you're in?
> No.
> >
> > I just tested but can't reproduce.

Interesting! So there seem to be two puzzles from what I understand:

1. Why is the default different on your systems.
2. Why can you only reproduce the bug on one system.

> I am accursed. If there is a bug in any piece of software, no matter how
> obscure or hard to trigger, it will bite me. :-( I missed my calling --
> should've been an alpha tester.

"First of all, it’s not in your head. [bugs] really do prefer some
people to others"
http://time.com/3311624/why-mosquitoes-bite/

Scott