On 3/1/19 3:30 PM, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
On 2/03/2019 8:31 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 01:45:48PM -0500, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 3/1/19 12:46 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:27:06PM -0500, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

Is this in 2.3.2? (FWIW, the version I have lists the build
date as 12/08/18.)
Yes the setting does apply for 2.3.x

You can just test with the following added to your preferences file:

    \use_native_filedialog false

and also try with

    \use_native_filedialog true

Any difference in behavior regarding this bug, between those two?
Yes and no. On my desktop (where the problem does not manifest), neither of those statements has any effect. Not only does the problem not occur, but
the file dialog layout/appearance does not change with either.

On my laptop (where the problem does manifest), the true setting matches
what is currently happening (with no setting in preferences), while the
false setting switches the dialog layout to match that of my desktop and
/gets rid of the problem/ (.tex files appear as expected).

That still leaves unanswered why it happens one place and not the other with the same version of LyX (as best I can tell). I searched both ~/.lyx and /usr/share/lyx (including subdirectories) on both laptop and desktop, and
\use_native_filedialog does not appear anywhere.
By the way, is the bug 100% reproducible on the system that has it?
Yes.
   Can
you see *any* .tex files?
No. With the default filter (.tex), only subdirectories appear; no files do.
   Does it depend on the directory you're in?
No.
I just tested but can't reproduce.
Interesting! So there seem to be two puzzles from what I understand:

1. Why is the default different on your systems.
2. Why can you only reproduce the bug on one system.

I wondered if this issue might show on a windows 10 laptop. The true/false settings produce different dialogues (dialogs?) but the .tex files show in both.

Andrew

Different looking dialogs would make sense. It would be interesting to know how the file filtering on Windows differs from the file filtering on Mint and Ubuntu.

Thanks. It's one more puzzle piece.

Paul