On 3/2/19 3:16 PM, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 3/2/19 11:55 AM, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 3/2/19 7:58 AM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Le 01/03/2019 à 21:43, Paul A. Rubin a écrit :
I have no idea if this makes a difference, but just in case it
triggers a thought: my desktop (where the issue never manifests) has
Qt 4.8.7 and 5.5.1 installed; my laptop (where the problem manifests
if I do not override the native dialog setting) has Qt 4.8.7 and
5.9.5. LyX uses 4.8.7 on both machines (or so it claims), so I would
not think the Qt 5 version would make a difference ... but lacking a
rational explanation for the difference in behaviors, who knows?

Also, is there any place where a Qt configuration file would be
stored that would explain why the native true/false thing has no
impact on my desktop but a big impact on my laptop? (All I know
about Qt is the spelling.)
What may be relevant is your desktop environment. In gnome, it will
be the gnome file dialog, in KDE the KDE file dialog, and may be others.

JMarc
I agree that the environment matters in general, but in this case
three different systems running Mint + MATE (which I believe is a
Gnome derivative) produced two different dialogs, one of which is
apparently the "native" dialog (based on the new configuration
setting) and one of which is not.
So which one seems to work, and which one does not?
Mint 19.1 (MATE): Problem occurs; setting "\use_native_dialog false" fixes it. Mint 18.3 (MATE): Problem does not occur; setting neither "\use_native_dialog false" nor "\use_native_dialog true" changes anything. Mint 18.1 (Cinnamon and MATE): Problem occurs; haven't heard yet from OP if "\use_native_dialog false" fixes it. Ubuntu 18.04 (not sure of the environment): Problem occurs; haven't heard yet if "\use_native_dialog false" fixes it.

I believe you are able to compile LyX yourself, yes?
Theoretically. I've never compiled LyX myself; I always wait for Liviu to do the deed.
  Assuming so, we can
probably produce some debug code that might throw more light on this.
Well, if anybody wants to produce an Ubuntu Xenial-compatible binary with the debug code, I'm happy to give it a try here.

Paul