On Mon, Sep 02, 2019 at 04:12:19PM +0200, Günter Milde wrote:
> On 30.08.19, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > Should the following:
>
> >   \newfontfamily\amharicfont{NotoSansEthiopic}
>
> > be instead:
>
> >   \newfontfamily\amharicfont{Noto Sans Ethiopic}
>
> > If I make this change, then the document almost compiles for me.
>
> Here, it compiles with both variants, so I changed it to the spaced one.

Thanks, this fixes those errors for me.

> > I still have a "Missing character" error as follows:
>
> >   There is no . in font Noto Serif Lao
> >   Regular/OT:script=lao;l
>
> > I'm confused how this test passes for both Günter and Kornel, but not me.
> > I am using the noto fonts from the Ubuntu packages. Perhaps you two are
> > using newer versions of them from upstream? Could that explain the
> > differences we see?
>
> Maybe. Here, I have NotoSerifLao.otf version 1.03 from the package
> fonts-noto-hinted (Debian/stable) Version: 20161116-1
> and there is no missing character.

Here I cannot find NotoSerifLao.otf in any package. I only find ttf
files:

$ apt-file find NotoSerifLao
fonts-noto-core: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/NotoSerifLao-Bold.ttf
fonts-noto-core: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/NotoSerifLao-Regular.ttf
fonts-noto-extra: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/NotoSerifLao-Black.ttf
fonts-noto-extra: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/NotoSerifLao-Condensed.ttf
<cut>
$

If I download the Noto fonts from the homepage, the archive also only
contains ttf. Could that make a difference?

Scott