On 2019-09-03, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: quoted-printable --]

> On Mon, Sep 02, 2019 at 10:01:13PM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

>> > Here, it compiles with both variants, so I changed it to the spaced one.

>> Thanks, this fixes those errors for me.

>> > Maybe. Here, I have NotoSerifLao.otf version 1.03 from the package
>> > fonts-noto-hinted (Debian/stable) Version: 20161116-1
>> > and there is no missing character.

>> Here I cannot find NotoSerifLao.otf in any package. I only find ttf
>> files:

Sorry the "otf" was my mistake, same here:

 #> locate NotoSerifLao
 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/NotoSerifLao-Bold.ttf
 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/NotoSerifLao-Regular.ttf

> I am just making theories at this point, but perhaps the period was
> removed in the newer version of the font, since as noted on Wikipedia:

>   Spaces for separating words and punctuation were traditionally not
>   used, but a space is used and functions in place of a comma or period.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_script

I got the sample text from the Lao wikipedia,
https://lo.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%BA%9E%E0%BA%B2%E0%BA%AA%E0%BA%B2%E0%BA%A5%E0%BA%B2%E0%BA%A7
where dots and commata are used. Also, removing ASCII characters from a
font seems odd.

> I tried to find a changelog for the font but could not.

What is the version number of your NotoSerifLao? (I used `font-manager`
(from Debian package "font-manager") to find out. )

With `font-manager` I could also verify that the NotoSerifLao.ttf font
installed here contains glyphs for numbers and ASCII punctuation but no
Latin letters.

Günter