On 9/6/19 11:48 AM, Daniel wrote:
> On 5/9/19 13:46, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>> Le 05/09/2019 à 06:54, Daniel a écrit :
>>> Can't test currently and I am not sure I understand correctly what
>>> the patch does. But as far as I do, I don't think I like it. If I
>>> understood you correctly, I can replicate the behavior of the patch
>>> in stable LyX by inserting the inset and setting the surrounding
>>> paragraph to Standard. But this is not intended in some cases. For
>>> example, in order to keep description labels together, I use a label
>>> inset that does nothing but surround the containing content with
>>> brackets {}. So, set a paragraph to Description, enter the label
>>> text, mark it and insert the label inset. But with your patch this
>>> will reset the description to plain, right?
>>
>> This is exact, but note that the behavior will not happen if you
>> insert your magic inset first and type into it afterwards. Moreover,
>> the patch will be tweaked to not touch layouts if the collapsible
>> inset forces plain layout, which I guess your label inset does (it
>> should anyway).
>>
>> So my position is
>> 1/ I am OK with a patch which changes the default font of note insets
>>
>> 2/ BUT we should be aware that this will hide a real bug (and not a
>> mere annoyance) that is that the layout surrounding the inset in your
>> example at the top of this thread should not be there. We should be
>> grateful for the inset to tell us that, not propose to shot the
>> messenger ;)
>>
>> So I would like to go forward with some changes of how layouts are
>> set/transferred when inserting insets, regardless of the cosmetic
>> changes in display.
> I am not convinced yet that changing the surrounding layout is the
> right thing to do.
>
> First, it seems good to get the same effect independent of the order
> of inserting inset and setting layout.
>
> Second, aren't there cases where one wants to have an inset embedded
> in a non-standard layout? If so, the user might have to reset the
> layout even if it was set as desired before inserting the inset.

I think there's some confusion about the issues here.

The 'surrounding layout' problem is actually more general. Suppose you
have a section, with header and associated text. Select the whole thing
and make it a branch. It will not do what you want. We really do need to
change the 'outside' layout in this case. (I think there might be a bug
about this, and I have done some work on the problem.)

The other issue is the font displayed within notes. JMarc is worried
about the case where the note is the only thing in the section heading
(say). I think you and I are more worried about the case where there are
other things in the section heading, but the font of the note ends up
looking too big. I see JMarc's point: There's no visual indication in
the text that we're in a section. But I also see our point: I want to
put notes in section headings sometimes, and it's annoying that they are
so huge.

Riki