On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 15:01, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:

> There are several TODOs I see now:

I'm adding a few other points (including a future roadmap):
- Rewrite https://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/DocBook
- Default output format (for the sake of completeness)
- (For later:) add support for CALS tables (add a document-wise parameter)
- (For much later): import DocBook documents — I'm not sure you can count
on me for this…

> - Add entries into various sections of RELEASE-NOTES, these should contain:
>   - New output target for Docbook 5
>   - Files gone (examples/layouts)
>   - Warning that ppl. using archaic Docbook 4 document need to manually
> convert them, because layouts are gone
>   - External deps. changed  - we do not use sgmltools anymore,
> distribution packagers can drop these

There is a patch attached for this. Comments welcome :).

> - Add promo section about Docbbok 5 to https://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/NewInLyX24,
> explaining whats new compared to outdated D4 sgml backend (somewhere to the
> top, this is a major thing).

I did something on the wiki. As it does not require file format changes
(except in layouts), I put it in the second part of the page.

> - If some other dev could at least quickly look through commit
> 3883b85f49054 , that would be appreciated, it's too long for one eyes only
> Apart from these, really good work Thibaut...

By the way, Guillaume already had a look at it before submission on the
list :).

> - As with any new feature there are likely some hidden issues and we would
> benefit from docbook users feedback and I'm not sure how to proceed.
>   We could ask on users lists for the feedback (and perhaps persuade JMarc
> to release 2.4alpha1, which would be just quick technical preview
>   with zero quality ensurance and sole purpose of testing docbook - so
> interested users do not need to compile?)
>   Maybe you have better idea though.

I can also reach out to DocBook-related mailing lists, in case someone
there has interest in LyX. D-BookeR's Patricia could also be interested in
testing this (and having binaries for them would be really very
appreciated!).

> - Two already known issues - fix documentation and tests, please see other
> mails...

Documentation is in progress, thanks Pavel :)! For tests, I'll have a look
later.