On 02-Apr-2001 Michael Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Michael!

> I intend to go on your nerves again :-)

No way, just go on reminding me to have a look at this!

> Now if you start scrolling either by moving down from
> one table cell to the next with the cursor keys or by using the
> scroll bar of the LyX window, the screen output becomes corrupted

Ok I see this too!

> I also noticed that changing the cursor position by clicking the
> left mouse button does not work under all circumstance. Even though
> I cannot provide a precise description of how to reproduce the bug,
> it should be easy to observe if you play around with the table.

Well I don't notice this right now!

> If the cursor is at the beginning of a table cell (not inside the
> red box) and I start typing, the whole table is redrawn. For
> large tables (even if only a small portion is visible on screen)
> this takes a second (on a Pentium 120).

Is the cell empty? The whole tabular has to be redrawn ALWAYS if the
width of a cell changes! If the width remains equal then it should
draw only the cell in question. So did the width change or not?
(Well only the visible cells are really redrawn, but that can be a lot!)

> I would also like to point out that the performance is rather poor when
> entering text in a table cell. In particular, the first character in a
> previously empty table cell appears with a little delay. Sometimes,
> characters are even swallowed by LyX because it cannot handle them in
> time! (Maybe you should produce a little background load on your machine
> in order to feel what I feel when using my old Laptop :-))

Well you won't believe it but if you make the tabular large enough you
can see it's slow even on a Pentium 800 with 256Mb of RAM :(
We should enhance this and I'm looking on this, but right now I only get
small steps in that direction, but don't see a overall performance boost!

> When leaving a table, the cursor is always moved in front of the table,
> even though the user moved it past the end of the right-bottom table cell.

Not if you exit with the MoveToRight Cursor key ;), but ok this should
be changed/fixed!

I'm concentrating on InsetText right now so I cut the following questions
and leave them to someone else (Angus for xforms I guess and Lars for
LyXParagraph ;)

       Jürgen

--
Dr. Jürgen Vigna        E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Marriage is low down, but you spend the rest of your life paying for it."
-- Baskins