On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Angus Leeming wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 April 2001 16:19, Juergen Vigna wrote:
> > On 04-Apr-2001 Angus Leeming wrote:

[QSpriteField]

> > > Ok, I know that this would be very sophisticated rendering, but is it
> > > totally  unfeasible?
> >
> > Well I wouldn't say unfeasible just "hard to realize". But that's the
> > way we have to go for the ultimate performance. For now I just do what
> > I can do to make it faster.
>
> ;-) Sure
>
> However, if there any Qt boffiins out there who think that we should change
> to Qt for the default GUI, this is the first real example I can think of of
> why Qt would be useful. As opposed to just pretty.
>
> Pure flame bait of course!

Or Rasters Evas or the Gnome canvas or any other canvas that minimises the
redrawing required.  I'm not sure how well they handle tables or even how
they'd handle this situation with an internal table column getting wider
but I'm sure any of them would do better overall than the workarea
currently does.  There are some pretty fancy algorithms for deciding what
to redraw I'd rather we didn't have to reimplement them ourselves.

Evas seems like it should work with most frameworks/toolkits for X and is
pretty fast.  It also makes use of OpenGL (eg. Mesa) if it's available so
you can have sprites and textures and other weird stuff.

> Angus (who's had a good day at work and is feeling obnoxiously smug and who
> furthermore enjoyed Henner's reminder of these little signatures!)

Copycat.

Allan. (ARRae)
You won't catch me using one of those closing signatures. No siree. Not one.