On Sat, Oct 02, 2021 at 06:09:03PM -0500, javier ignacio carrero mantilla wrote:
>  A suggestion for lyx development: to change the file format in such a way
> that it includes the graphics, as word processors do. For example: pasting
> myGraphic.png into myDocument.lyx makes it part of myDocument.lyx
> structure.
> The current need to move, copy, paste, or e-mail all graphics alongside the
> lyx file is annoying and makes the use of lyx prone to lost links. However,
> it can be solved as proposed here, embedding the graphics in the lyx file
> itself, as word processors do. In fact, the last version of Scientific Word
> (SW) worked this way. As far as I remember, from some SW sales pitch, it
> used some kind of xml format, but unfortunately SW is now defunct and the
> details are probably lost (I'm not a programmer).
> P. D.
> The current lyx scheme, that is, linked graphics, should be maintained for
> compatibility as an option, in fact word processors allow it.

Hi Javier,

I've seen this requested a few times but currently no one is working on this
feature. I don't think it would be *that* hard to implement it. Embedding
graphics, or any file I believe, is common in other applications and file
formats. But it would still take time to get everything working smoothly.

Here's another place it was requested:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62955438/embed-graphics-into-lyx-files-instead-of-linking-an-external-file

I don't think we have a trac ticket (https://www.lyx.org/trac) yet for this
enhancement request.