On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 04:31:20PM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> However, it seems to have a pretty big hit on performance. The way I
> checked was starting with select-all on a document, and then doing shift
> + up and seeing how long it took to get to the top. It took 16 seconds
> without the patch and 47 seconds with the patch. I don't have a good
> argument for a use case for this particular stress test, but it seems to
> raise a flag, and the document I used to test is not too long (it
> compiles to a 14 page PDF).

I see. Admittedly I used it only localy for couple paragraphs and it
did not occur to me to try selection of the whole document.

In a local use even on my super-speedy repeat rate of keyboard
nothing is noticeable but when I select complete User Guide the
lag is indeed visible. One could perhaps disable the feature
if (to-from) is too big.

> I think it would be nice to add an option to show/remove it.

As you've guessed I am no fan of new options for details like this.

> If that doesn't work, would this be a good candidate for asynchronous
> calculation?

This would be indeed an option. We could show statistics for the whole
document or just selection when selected and update it in a parallel
thread once in a second or so. I have a feeling that MS Word is doing
something like this based on it's laggy updates of statusbar.

> I know I'm asking to do a lot of work

You are and I am nowhere close to having time for that :)

As such this change goes to my local patchset and I am rectracting
the proposal...

Pavel