On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 05:49:46PM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2023 at 12:17:46PM -0400, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> > >Thanks, Fedora clearly choses to walk on the wild side.
> >
> > This sounds like the biggest issue left. Is GraphicsMagick an option, or
> > does it have the same issues?
>
> Worth checking indeed. But even if it works the only thing left for us to do
> is to suggest packagers changing dependencies.

I quickly checked and indeed gm convert seem to give the same as IM's convert
without being affected by bans in policy.xml.

On debian only 'gm' binary is avaiable and you need to call 'gm convert'
so we would need to change our configure script to deal wit this.

We need to check that opensuse (and fedora?) contain GM, and test it for some
time to see possible side effects.

But otherwise it seems as a reasonable solution. We could just put into release
notes that we urge all distro maintainers who were can't do anything with IM
bans to give GM as a primary dependency.

What others think?

Pavel