Le 05/07/2023 à 13:39, Thibaut Cuvelier a écrit :
On Sat, 1 Apr 2023, 15:10 Jean-Marc Lasgouttes, <lasgout...@lyx.org <mailto:lasgout...@lyx.org>> wrote:

    Hello,

    A relative has been using LyX recently, and it is interesting to see
    how
    the use is different from what I would do.

    In particular, instead of typing \neq in mathed, why not copy and paste
    a ≠ from some PDF or HTML page?

    When doing this, two things happen :
    1/ on screen, there is no spacing around the ≠
    2/ in LaTeX output, the character is exported as \neq and all is well

This nice behaviour doesn't happen with all Unicode symbols. On my keyboard, I have direct access to ², ³, and µ: LyX wraps them in text boxes, meaning that the LaTeX output is wrong for these characters.

I cannot tell about ² and ³, but the upright µ is useful in text for units AFAIR.

We could indeed discuss a way to have a different behavior in texted and mathed.