On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Allan Rae wrote:

> If I leave the body definition in lyx.css then only that takes effect.
> Maybe we need two css files and switch between the two instead?

I switched to using two css files.  If you add ?traditional=1 to your
command line when viewing:

        http://www.devel.lyx.org/~rae/www-user/

then you'll get close to the old scheme.  I haven't changed colours for
the links yet.  We also have to set the menu with a solid background
colour. If you set it to transparent it looks okay in Opera but both
Netscape and Mozilla render with a solid colour of their own choosing
(black for NS and light grey for Moz).  So you begin to see how these css
files could multiply rapidly if we tried to make all browsers look at
their best.

I didn't intend to do this work -- this email started out an hour ago as
"do it yourself, I'll help a bit" (the short version would have said
that).

I've made traditional.css a merger of both lyx.css and pinmenu.css and
simply switch between the two combos of stylesheets.  The traditional flag
isn't handled by a cookie yet.  There is a problem with cookie handling
and I don't know why.  I don't know enough php to know what happens about
reading cookies.  It looks to me like we don't normally access them but
maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's a weird caching thing or some problem with
the webserver giving us old cookies.

I just want to get www.devel.lyx.org sorted now.

BTW, as I said before I can also place a banner (not a green embossed one
but a real one) below the sidemenu (of the new look).  This is easy and
the code already exists in cvs -- commented out -- although the old banner
is currently used for test purposes.

BTW, I tested download times with bobby but it doesn't include the
background image in the calculations.  It would add 2 seconds by my
estimation (based on interpolating the times for other components) but
adds at least an extra 2 seconds for rendering time on my system --
PIII-450.

Allan. (ARRae)