Juergen> On 11-Jul-2001 Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>> Yes, but an open one is HIGLY_EDITABLE, and thus currently,
>> open-stuff just enters the inset in this case, which is not very
>> useful. It should rather act as a toggle, and do the same for
>> insets with a popup (and be renamed to toggle-stuff, or to a better
>> name).

Juergen> Sorry for being dump, but could you explain what you expect
Juergen> OpenStuff to do? Jump to the inset and don't enter it? What
Juergen> is this OpenStuff for anyway, could you explain in a few
Juergen> words.

open-stuff is what is bound to C-o in 1.1.6 and earlier. Basically it

1/ opens (via edit()) the inset which is at the right of cursor if
it is EDITABLE

2/ jumps into the inset which is at the right of cursor if
it is HIGHLY_EDITABLE

3/ toggles the float which is at the right of the cursor

Currently, I have implemented 1/ and 2/, but I cannot toggle a
collapsable inset. What I would like to do is to have a way to toggle
any inset (if the popup is already open, close it), since it seems
consistent/useful to me.

For an already open footnote, 2/ and 3/ are incompatible. However, it
seems to me that 2/ is useless, since you obtain the same result with
cursor right.

So I would like to have for all insets a toggle() method (or
open()/close() and a way to test status) in order to be able to
implement this feature easily.

Is it clearer now?

Similarly, we will need a way to replace "{toggle|close|open} all
{floats|figures|footnotes}" that we used to have. I do not know what
the best semantics would be for such function(s).