John Levon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> and for years, people have been forced to go to the manual to work out
                ^ some
> how to enter lengths. More recently, we have had a vague help message
> in some places.

Other people have entered length just as they always did.

> The new interface makes it patently clear what we are expecting, and
> reduces the potential for user error.

ACK. But it does make thing for "people who know" harder.

> This is basic good UI design [1]

No, absolutely not. A good UI is not only easy but also convenient.
This might be a bit hard for a GUI, but it is possible.

What about the following idea:

You can still enter length as usual, the parser recognises it and sets
the drop-down list accordingly.

Since the parser did check for correct units, and since the drop-down
list is implemented, it should be only a little additional work. And
it marks both sides happy.

You could also go as far as XEmacs: provide two ways for every option.
One keybord based in the status line and one pop-up window for rodent
users. But this is of course a lot more work (though it is extremely
fast to use).

                    Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--
Umweltfreundlich, da aus recycleten Buchstaben.