>> > Should there be a consensus and have a harmonized help style?
>>
>> good question.

R> Maybe it's worth considering both styles for LyX dialogs: short
R> explanations in the bottom, when the cursor moves across certain
R> areas of the dialog, and a Help button that will provide more
R> elaborate information.

>From what I have seen in herbert's help file, I think all the info in
there could and probably should be turned into short tips as we have
elsewhere. This even easier to use than separate help, I think. Maybe
Juergen S. could have a look?

Another easy solution would be to have a function
  showHelpItem(string const & name, string const & label)
that would load manual `name' (or switch to it if it is open) and jump
to label `label'. This is just a few lines of code, and then the Help
button would just invoke something like
  showHelpItem("UserGuide", "sec:graphics")

Would that work?