At 02:28 16.02.02 +0000, you wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 03:18:41AM +0100, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>
> > Or are there plans to do anything using the Lyx-Server? If not, I'd
> glad to
> > implement parts of the
> > the scripting capabilities into Lyx.
>
>the idea is to sort out the lyxfunc interface (what lyx server uses) so
>you can
>script most things. It's really a long-haul project.
>
> > Furhter, I would propose to use Python as scripting language.
>
>then it is a matter of wrapping lyx server inside a python (or whatever) lib

Hmmm, I must admit, I don't see the use of the lyx server. First, you've
to pass all information through a socket or pipe and you need a client
for every language which dispatches this information and provides an
appropriate
interface for the desired language => the lyx server solution doubles the work.

If someone needs something like the lyx server, he still can use the integrated
script language to provide something like the lyx server...

Further, the lyx server solution looks very home brewed to me,
there are standard solutions like CORBA.

If I make patches to integrate Python directly into Lyx, is there a chance that
they make it into the official sources? As I can see with my current knowledge
about the lyx sources and the Python lib, the changes
to the existing sources will be very little for basic scripting
functions, it's mainly extra code in extra source files.