Juergen Vigna wrote:
> On 19-Apr-2002 Eran Tromer wrote:
>
>>(Note: the old screenshot was inaccurate, since I faked the cursor (it
>>wasn't captured) just to show where I'm putting it logically. I've now
>>updated the screenshow to be perfectly accurate.)
>>
>>The inset is one line below and 1 pixel to the right of the cursor. Are
>

> Yes that 1 pixel makes the difference and for that single pixel (actually I
> think there are 2 of them ;) you move to the right and not down.
>
>>so <Down> makes more sense than <Right>.
>
> Sorry but I don't agree with you here.

I still think that a line is longer than a pixel, but I guess this is a
matter of taste...  If the effect on navigation is so dramatic, perhaps
the visual indication can be made more obvious.

Anyway, at least now we're in sync: the criterion is strictly visual, to
the level of single pixels. Got it. Please allow me to try your patience
and go back to the original example (ERT in footnote).

 >>Cursor at beginning of footnote (right before ERT):
 >>  <Down> goes outside footnote, should enter ERT
 >
 > Again you are left of the ERT inset in the last row of the footnote if
 > pressing DOWN you shouldn't go right you should navigate down!

There's nothing strictly below the cursor, so by your criterion <Down>
should do nothing. Instead, it goes up and right.

 >>Cursor at beginning of ERT:
 >>  <Down> goes outside footnote, should do nothing
 >
 > Why again! You are in the last row of the ERT and in the last of the
 > footnote Down should leave the ERT and the Footnote!

Similarly -- this seems like some sort of logical behavior, with no
visual justification.

 >>Cursor at beginning of ERT:
 >>  <Up> goes outside footnote, should go to beginning of foonote
 >
 > Same as above you are in the first row of ERT and first of footnote!

The thing directly above the cursor is the inside of the footnote inset,
so I reckon the cursor should remain in the footnote.

 >>Cursor at end of footnote (right after ERT):
 >>  <Down> goes outside footnote, should go into ERT

Again -- by your criterion it should do nothing, not go up and right.

 >                                     It should go into the footnote not
 > ERT though, I agree there. But that's so minor as to not be even worth
 > thinking about IMHO
>>Minor indeed, but these sort of minor annoyances are a major part
>>of the mythical "user experience". This is the sort of stuff that makes
>>things "feel wrong". Not 1.2.0 stuff, but there should be a bug filed on
>>this (unless it's fixed as a by-product of this one).
>
> I don't agree here to this is not a bug in my opinion and the behaviour
> should not be changed, so as simple as that I will close the bug with a
> WONTFIX.

Uhm? I thought you admitted this one is a bug.

   Regards,
     Eran Tromer