On Monday 24 June 2002 11:28 am, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
> Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> | All the forms/form_*.[Ch] files are now autogenerated. As such, you'll
> | probably find them in your build tree, not your src tree.
>
> One note though... I do not agree to when this is generated, now you
> generate upon compile, right? It should be done on autogen, so that a
> source distribution does not require users to have fdesign installed.

Can I convince you that you're wrong? Probably not ;-) Anyway here is why I
prefer the current approach:

1. What is wrong with forcing the users to install fdesign? It's the
appropriate compilation tool. (You insist on a C== compiler for .C code...)
In effect, you are special-casing the xforms frontend. The qt frontend will
require uic to be present. Ditto, gnome will require glade.

2. The makefile is used to rebuild object files when a src file is changed.
In this case, the src file is the .fd file. When it's modified all is rebuilt
correctly. If we adopt your proposal, then that is no longer the case.

Angus