Andre Poenitz wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 12:31:16PM +0100, Angus Leeming wrote:
>
>>I'm sure that the wizards will be able to help here. Wizards, are you reading
>>this? I'd like to generate small batches of these previews, say for the first
>>three or four screen heights. Thereafter, if I arrive at an inset for which a
>>preview hasn't been generated, I'd like to generate previews for three or
>>four screen heights around it. Any thoughts on an interface?
>

> Remember that currently we have problem with the "on demand" loading as
> done by the graphics insets. We'll certainly run into the same problem when
> we do that with the previews. So I'd still try to load everything ASAP, at
> least we might consider doing that "size caching in the .lyx" thingy.

What problem do you see here? I cannot look at the code right now but
IMO that when terminating to convert the images a signal is called which
then enters all insets and loads the requested file is this true? Well
IMO it's really easy to decide inside the inset that it is actually
not in a position where it is displayed so loading of the image would
not be needed and we just return from there without doing anything.

We only redraw the inset where we need to and that would be really
fews. I don't think that iterating over all insets in the buffer
takes that long actaully I think it should be quite fast, what takes
up the time is loading of the images into the buffer and then redrawing
in when it is not needed.

So I think that David is right and that this is easily doable, but
maybe I just didn't understand exactly what you really do and so my
above proposal is not really doable.

             Jug

P.S.: I sent a few replies to the mailing list this morning but
       I only now see that I always replied to the sender only could
       the people please forward the messages to the list. Thanks!

--
Dr. Jürgen Vigna        E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]