John> Read the 3rd verboseDispatch(). As I said, if it's false, all it
John> does is add a ' '.

John> I see if you call the void LyXFunc::verboseDispatch(string const
John> & s, bool show_sc) with show_sc == false, /there/ is the
John> difference: you will get "Unknown function (blah)". If you were
John> to just call "dispatch" directly in each place you call
John> verboseDispatch() with show_sc == false, then instead you would
John> get "Unknown function".

John> This seems like a very small difference to make all the show_sc
John> shenanigans worth it. What am I missing ?

Hmm, I am not sure we understand each other, and maybe is there
something I do not get. Anyway:

If you do M-c e in a buffer, you get something like
  Font: EMphasis On, Paragraph 0

If you click on the ! icon, you get
  Font: EMphasis On, Paragraph 0 (font-emph: [C-e] [M-c e])

See the difference? This is all show_sc is about. The most important
part here is the shortcut. Nobody cares about font-emph being shown,
except lars, who loves it. I propose to make that into a pref,
defaulting to off (and maybe without a UI).

But the shortcut is a very nice feature IMO. However, there are cases
where we do not want it (internal dispatch, dispatch through
keybindings...).

I agree that all these dispatch/verboseDispatch things suck, but I did
not manage to make them clearer at the time (and I was trying to have
minimal changes to fix a bug). Feel free to change it, but I think you
must retain the verbose/nonverbose (display result in minibuffer or
not) and show_sc (display kb shortcuts or not) options.