On Tuesday 27 August 2002 09:20, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> The problem is if I co-operate with people that do not use current CVS head
> for daily work, their docs are _silently_ converted to 220 if I just change
> a single char. As long as lyx2lyx does not works equally well for
> downgrading, this can cause severe problems.

  You are saving a document with cvs version and expecting it to remain with
the old version? Saving is the keyword.

> >   Does it makes sense from the user point of view to ask this? Why ask
> >   and not warn? Why should it be different now?
>
> Ask, because the user might not want the coversion. One could also offer
> a "read-only" conversion. Or something like that.

  If we want any change to the document then there isn't any other choice to
save in an old format, or is there?

  The only place where it makes sense to ask something is when saving the
file, not when converting initially as Lars proposes. Or is you want when
some change is made, but _not_ when opening the file. What if I want just see
the file, should I care if lyx translate the file? That is lyx's business.

> Actually, the best solution would be to have a possibility to downgrade
> .lyx docs as well. I understand that newer features are not usable that
> way, but this would enable co-operation of 1.2 and 1.1.6 at least at the
> level were 1.2 is able to _edit_ 1.1.6 files without "destroying" them.

 ????? Data loss is always possible when doing this, so I don't know how
useful this is.

> >   Notice that you only get the document modified if you save it, and then
> >   you still have the old copy around (name.lyx~).
>
> Better not to touch the original...

  Why do you concern only now? :-)

--
José Abílio