On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:45:40AM +0100, José Abílio Oliveira Matos wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 August 2002 09:20, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> >
> > The problem is if I co-operate with people that do not use current CVS head
> > for daily work, their docs are _silently_ converted to 220 if I just change
> > a single char. As long as lyx2lyx does not works equally well for
> > downgrading, this can cause severe problems.
>
>   You are saving a document with cvs version and expecting it to remain with
> the old version? Saving is the keyword.

I am co-operating with people which use 1.2. If I need to make a change I
want to be able to save that.

And yes, I use 1.3cvs for my part.

>   If we want any change to the document then there isn't any other choice to
> save in an old format, or is there?
>
>   The only place where it makes sense to ask something is when saving the
> file, not when converting initially as Lars proposes. Or is you want when
> some change is made, but _not_ when opening the file. What if I want just see
> the file, should I care if lyx translate the file? That is lyx's business.

If you can guarantee that I don't edit a silently converted doc for an hour
and LyX won't save it afterwards as it does not like the version...

>  ????? Data loss is always possible when doing this, so I don't know how
> useful this is.

Importing old format, making trivial changes with new lyX and saving old
format should be possible without data loss. And yes, this is useful.

> > Better not to touch the original...
>
>   Why do you concern only now? :-)

Because I was not aware of the silence of the conversion earlier and I did
not really try earlier it as you provided the missing link to make it
usable for me just a few days ago.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security,
will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. (T. Jefferson)