Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
> "R. Lahaye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> | R. Lahaye wrote:
> | >
> | > I run LyX on a machine that has no spellings checker installed!
> | > The following happens when I start LyX from an xterminal:
> |
> | There are more spelling checher nuissances:
> |
> | When I [Close] the spelling checker, I always get a message
> | dialog that says:
> |
> |             "Spell checking completed!"
> |                 xxxx words checked
> |                       [OK]
> |
> | This message dialog is a pain! Let me guess that nobody
> | ever really reads the number of words checked, but everybody
> | hits that [OK] button as quick as possible.
>
> Wrong. A lot of people use this _just_ to get the number of words
> checked.

Are you telling me that we are supposed to use the spellingchecker for
finding out the number of words in the document?

If so, that makes it even worse! Users of the spellingchecker become
unhappy, because the stupid word-count pops up everytime at the end;
and the word-count-users are annoyed, because they have to spell-check
first before getting to the number of words!

I consider this to be very bad GUI design and suggested an improvement
by showing the total number of words and a progressive word count
inside the spellingchecker dialog, underneath the slider.

Moreover, if word count is of high demand among users, we should add
another item somewhere in the GUI (e.g: a new menu item "View->Statistics")
that shows things as total number of words, figures, tables etc.

Rob.