On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> The question is, of course, how much .tex will be retained even in the
> new XMLish .lyx. In order to avoid regressions we'd e.g. need a flawless
> .tex -> .lyx -> .tex roundtrip for math, which is easiest achieved by
> storing the .tex represantation in the .lyx - at least as a temporary
> solution until we understand how .tex <-> MathML can be done without loss.
>
> > OK, but (just as a thought) I don't see the point in saing that .lyx ->
> > .tex is a conversion
>
> But it still is a conversion, isn't it?

Oh, I think I understand better now. So the plan is to have native
exports to both .tex and MathML? In this case, tex would not be strictly
necessary to publishing, so it makes sense calling it an "export".

So the main criterion for the new xml-ish .lyx should be to retain all the
main features of all the exportable languages? Seems to be a big job.

I'm begining to like the idea of this new .lyx format.

Joćo.