http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net/manual/Package-options.html#Package%20options
> "This makes footnotes render as previews, and only as their footnote
> symbol. A convenient editing feature inside of Emacs."
>
> It seems as if you can set \usepackage[footnotes]{preview} in Emacs
> and have a preview of the footnote mark.

It would appear that you are coming up against a philosophical
impasse. David Kastrup thinks that previews are a good, good thing.
That may be because he uses emacs to write his LaTeX documents. He
/wants/ to see his LaTeX as code and he would also like to see
what the resulting compiled code results in.

The LyX project was set up to get you away from LaTeX code and give
you a reasonable on-screen representation of your document. Don't get
me wrong, I'm not knocking preview-latex. After all, I spent a large
chunk of my summer trying to get it to work in LyX. It's just that,
having done so, I'm not sure what /real/ benefit these previews
provide for most people.

We integrated preview-latex into LyX because it can sometimes
provide the user with useful information not otherwise available to
him. If LyX's math editor can rendor the equation, then the preview
is little more than eye candy. The real beneficiaries are those who
write things like commutative diagrams that mathed can't currently
render. Ditto, those who include LaTeX images in their document will
find this gizmo useful.

LyX uses a little box saying "foot" (possibly translated) to show a
footnote. Would you write better documents if LyX displayed some
symbol or other? I doubt it. Sure, we /could/ do it, at the cost of
complicating the code (read introduce more bugs). However, I suspect
that we'd rather spend out limited time in other ways.

On a more practical level, the only way to get this right is to make
LyX aware of the footnote symbols. If we were to show the symbol on
the footnote box, then using preview-latex is just a kludge.
Inserting a new footnote between existing ones will change the symbol
for all subsequent footnotes. It seems like a huge overkill to
regenerate all these images. Indded, what happens if you use a
footnote package that displayed footnotes as numbers starting from 1
on each new page? Should LyX know what text fits on which page? Of
course not. This is a can of worms that I will not open.

Just my opinions of course ;-)

--
Angus