John> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:30:12PM -0600, Andreas Pour wrote:
>> For SuSE 8.0, the compile is broken if you set CXXFLAGS in your
>> env. This is

John> IF you're fiddling with CXXFLAGS you should know what you're
John> doing.

Sorry John, but andreas is right. Here is what the GNU standards
texinfo file has to say

      If there are C compiler options that *must* be used for proper
   compilation of certain files, do not include them in `CFLAGS'.  Users
   expect to be able to specify `CFLAGS' freely themselves.  Instead,
   arrange to pass the necessary options to the C compiler independently
   of `CFLAGS', by writing them explicitly in the compilation commands or
   by defining an implicit rule, like this:

        CFLAGS = -g
        ALL_CFLAGS = -I. $(CFLAGS)
        .c.o:
                $(CC) -c $(CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $<

      Do include the `-g' option in `CFLAGS', because that is not
   *required* for proper compilation.  You can consider it a default that
   is only recommended.  If the package is set up so that it is compiled
   with GCC by default, then you might as well include `-O' in the default
   value of `CFLAGS' as well.

And I think this completely makes sense. I don't know what other
variable we could use for this, though.