Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

> "Dr. Richard E. Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> | > What I'd rather do is to remove most of the shortcuts from dialogs,
> | > and have the user use tab to move around.
> |
> | > Not everything needs a shortcut.
> |
> | ???
> |
> | Heresy!
> |
> | You are talking about extra keystrokes, and forcing poeple to watch the
> | dialog.  Also, the sequence of keystrokes will change as the dialogs
> | change.
> |
> | ack!  Evil!
>
> Have I said that I really do not like the dialogs at all?
> I'd prefere an application completely without dialogs...

I was thinking about this myself. Seriously.

Do you remember my hacking of the lyxserver back in september? I made a
suggestion at that time that I clean up the controllers code, so that they
weren't passed an inset*, from which to extract the info they required and,
on return from the view, to fill it with the desired values. Instead, I
suggested that these controllers were passed the inset::write(...) string
and dispatch()ed a modified version of this string with a single, common,
LFUN identifier. It would then be up to the LyX core to parse this using
inset::read(...) and 'do the right thing'.

The advantage of this approach is that all dialog functionality could also
be performed by an intelligent app communicating with the LyX core via the
lyxserver. You didn't seem to get the thrust of the idea at the time, but
André did and sort of jumped up and down with excitement ;-)

If we did this, then lyx could quite conceivably become a daemon process
communicating via the lyxserver with an external process which --- quite
conceivably --- could be our frontend dialogs with a main() routine.

So, no dialogs in LyX at all ;-)

--
Angus