Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

> Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> | If we did this, then lyx could quite conceivably become a daemon process
> | communicating via the lyxserver with an external process which --- quite
> | conceivably --- could be our frontend dialogs with a main() routine.
>
> Then we would use bsd sockets (tcp) or local sockets (unix)... and
> then a lyx daemon could run and serve a xfroms gui and a qt gui at the
> same time...
>
> On deamon, one machine :-)
>
> _but_ I am not completely sure that I like the idea.

Sure. However, the necessary first step of passing dialog information
between the frontend and the core only as an LFUN, string pair is a good
idea I think. Especially if we can use the same inset's read, write
functions to do this as are used when loading up a document. Clearly,
passing an inset*, as now, is nasty, nasty, nasty.

Moreover, it may not be too much work ;-)

The necessary second step of an improved lyxserver is also a fun project.
When that is in place, there is nothing stopping an external app calling
itself a LyX frontend, even if it's not the way that LyX itself chooses to
do things.

--
Angus