John Levon wrote:

> Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. It would make use of second word
> impossible, careful ordering so that more common options are preferred,
> etc.

But rethinking again: I don't think this as a problem, but as a feature.
(Also, it should be trivial to set the policy to prefer first letter, then
first letter on the second word if it exist, then second letter and so on)

Making shorcuts consistent would accelerate user interaction. In fact, I
find a PITA every cleverness in choosing shorcuts. In the
Layout->Document->Layout dialog tab (Qt frontend) we have for instance
"Options|t" without any reason for not using O. Or "Page style|s" when P
would be much more intuitive. And "Float placement|p", same thing.

At least we should decide a shorcut policy for manually placing them. And
once the policy is decided, I would find strange if it cannot be
automatized.

If you want my opinion, I think shorcuts are useful when they are on the
first letter. With some effort I can use if they are on the first letter of
the second word, but if I have to find the underlined letter in the middle
then I better tab out or click with the mouse.
And it's indifferent (at least for me) if they follow some meaning of the
action: you have to look at the dialog to use them.

> It's a  problem for translation, but I do not think this is a solution.

I'm not sure neither if this is the solution. But I don't think it's only a
problem for translations.

Alfredo (Back pretending to think)