This looks to be very silly indeed, so I guess I'm missing something.
Why are we calling update(text) directly several times for one "lfun" ?
Can we not just post the update, and then call it *once* at the end of
handling the lfun (and at the end of handleKeypress and a couple of
other spots I guess).

It looks to me currently like we do an awful lot of unnecessary
redrawing for no good reason ?

I don't understand code like this :

    400         bv->update(text, BufferView::SELECT | BufferView::FITCUR);
    401         text->toggleFree(font, toggleall);
    402         bv->update(text, BufferView::SELECT | BufferView::FITCUR |
BufferView::CHANGE);

Is this related to CHANGED_IN_DRAW ? (and if so, how ...)

regards,
john