On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:55:51AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Yes, there certainly have been major improvements in the source code,
> lots of "clean up", etc.  The "GUII" effort, as you call it.
>
> But you'd be hard pressed to offer a host of significant new features,
> from the user's standpoint, introduced in the last two years.

Because LyX without the 'GUII effort' and further cleanups is in a state
where adding new features is very difficult. Moreover, even if adding a
new feature turns out to be possible it most likely adds to the current
mess and makes adding a second feature even more difficult.

So the way to go is to do the cleanups first.

> It's not just the GUII effort at fault here.  It's just one chapter.  LyX
> has suffered numerous efforts to circle back and clean up the code,
> rewrite "hacks" dependent on xforms, etc.  The community has often seemed
> incapable of building on the foundation in place, rather than tearing it
> down and reconstructing it ad nauseum.

> Sure, LyX today is very nice, sparkling and clean, at least under the
> hood.

I wish it were. In fact such statements do not add much credibility to the
other not-so-easy-to-follow statements.

> One that particularly struck me was the elimination of the Layout menu
> and its diaspora throughout the user interface ("Edit->Paragraph
> Settings" Seriously?)

That's really bad.

> Why such fundamental user interface elements are still being tweaked is
> beyond me.  It must reflect the kind of dramatic differences in goals and
> objectives I mentioned above.

No, I think this is just a new superficial mess completely independent of
'real' internal changes.  However, as this can be rectified by editing
lib/ui/default.ui with a simple text editor before releasing 1.4 I don't
think this change will do too much damage in the long run.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one.     (T. Jefferson or B. Franklin or both...)