On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 02:01:03PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > But I don't like the idea of representing it on the UI level for insets
> > in general - what is wrong with using Undo, Revert, etc. if you
> > accidentally delete something important ?
>
> As I mentioned in the quoted text, casual erasure of ERT insets by
> inexperienced LyX users is a problem, particularly w/r/t templates.

With templates we can have a .layout keyword. For documents in general,
either the change tracking, or the standard Undo/Revert stuff will do
IMO.

> Stepping for a moment into the conceptual, ERT is often a stand-in for LaTeX
> customization not supported by the UI.  Consider other ways to customize LaTeX,
> such as the preamble or Layout->Document settings.  You cannot affect *these*
> by casual erasure.

Sure you can. Erase the wrong bit, then "OK", and it's gone.

> The minipage widget has offered the opportunity to hide such content in the
> main file.  Sometimes, we've used minipage as a "hack" to submerge from view
> text (along with ERT widgets) that really doesn't need the minipage environment
> -- "canned" template content that only clutters the working space of the user
> and that should not, in the ordinary course, be changed.

Why the minipage ? I don't get the use case here.

> But at least it removes the canned text (along with ERT widgets) from view.

are you talking about it being removed altogether from the visual
display ?

regards
john