On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:04:56AM -0700, Kayvan A. Sylvan spake thusly:

> > Actually you shouldn't use Branches like that. My idea was that the
> > inset should be *in* the Section layout paragraph, not *contain* it.
> > As you see, also the numbering doesn't work.
>
> Why shouldn't I want to use branches like that, though?
>
> My usage is for a section (or even a Chapter) that is included in one
> version (with the branch enabled) and not included in another version.
>
> For example: Imagine an academic book that has a "Teacher's Enhanced
> Edition" where each Chapter contains a section called "Answers to the
> exercises" and maybe even an additional Chapter devoted to teaching
> methods for the overall material. These would all be inside a
> "Teacher Edition" branch inset.

Ah, I see. Yes, this could be useful. John had an example of an
enumeration which similarly didn't work in the current paradigm.

> > Is there a way to limit what kind of layouts are admitted within a
> > particular inset? If so, this is the place to use it. And the inset
> > should "inherit" the outside, large Section font. How to do that?
> >
> > - Martin
>
> I don't really agree with limiting this.
>
> It certainly breaks the principle of least surprise.
>
> The Section numbering on-screen should just continue as normal. In this way,
> there might be a discrepancy between what you see on screen and the printed
> version (depending on which branches are enabled), but that's not a problem.

Yes, I agree -- but how does one achieve that?  Once that works,
getting the labels in the nav menu to work properly is a small thing
by comparison.

>                       ---Kayvan

- Martin