On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:34:36AM +0200, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
> | There is no need to repeat the 'assert on pos != size' story.
>
> But you are now allowing blantatly wrong cursors to just be trasformed
> into something valid.

But it enables people to use 1.4.0cvs and we were aiming for a release
after a few people have used it, don't we?

> And it is these kind of special values that is never really ok,

This is a sentinel to catch exactly the kind of 'late crashes' we've
seen after the conversion to list<Paragraph>.

> but we add small workarounds here and there, that makes code
> ununderstandable and unreadable.
>
> When is it ok for a cursor par to have a value of -1?

Never. This is just to catch situations where a text is used but its
cursor is not explicitly initialized.

This is not really 'blatantly wrong' and a reason for an assert. In fact
the pre-parlist code simply ignored that situation with using a 0
Paragraph* in the 'uninitialized cursor'. We could mimic old behaviour
by initializing the paragraph to 0 in the LyXCursor constructor and get
exactly pre-parlist behaviour (i.e. no crashes, no warning).

Getting the warning, however, is a means to detect bad logic. And while
the old code simply ignored it and the current code crashes I thought it
would be better to fix it.

I need the warning for that and 1.4.0cvs needs users. We can have both.
Were is the _real_ problem?

*sigh*

Could we please stop going into politics every day? This costs me a lot
of time and annoys me greatly. I am just trying to fix a couple of
things as long as I can. If you have other goals, please say so and I'll
shut up.

Andre'