Amir Michail wrote:
> I was wondering if you have any interest in this experiment.  In
> particular, would any LyX developers be able to suggest bug fixes,
> minor feature requests, major features, etc?

Of course. But many of these are already scribbled down at
http://www.devel.lyx.org/roadmap.php3
http://www.devel.lyx.org/tasks.php3
Moreover, we have a bug-tracker at http://bugzilla.lyx.org which
documents both bugs and feature requests.
Finally, there is a wiki-wiki at http://wiki.lyx.org. Presumably
people will start shoving in feature requests there too, although I
haven't looked at it very much.

> Also, if students get stuck, would they be able to get any help?

Of course. We're a pretty helpful and friendly bunch.

> I am personally not knowledgeable of the LyX design (yet)

Let's just say it's a lot cleaner than it was ;-)

> Please let me know if there is any interest in this.  A class of 200
> students may be able to make some valuable contributions to the LyX
> project.

We are always interested. One thing that I would note is that we're a
small collection of programmers and are very wary of enormous
patches, prefering a 'little and often' approach. Moreover, because
we are trying to clean the code base up (and have been doing so for
several years) we have found it useful to have preliminary and
informal discussions about the best way to implement some suggestion.
Often the design becomes far more generic as a result. Getting your
students to participate in such discussions would be an excellent
thing for them to do anyway.

--
Angus