On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 04:28:13PM +0200, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
> Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> | We are always interested. One thing that I would note is that we're a
> | small collection of programmers and are very wary of enormous
> | patches, prefering a 'little and often' approach. Moreover, because
> | we are trying to clean the code base up (and have been doing so for
> | several years) we have found it useful to have preliminary and
> | informal discussions about the best way to implement some suggestion.
> | Often the design becomes far more generic as a result. Getting your
> | students to participate in such discussions would be an excellent
> | thing for them to do anyway.
>
> Yes, and this would be required for them to get a patch into Lyx
> anyway, and should absolutely be part of the assignment.
> I do not know how formal you are going to do this assignment, but for
> bugs not much are needed..., for new features it would be really nice
> if a formal design were present (we have been bad at those).

I think we even could come up with a list of nice-to-have features.

Simple features would be some new math inset. Just browse the AMS
classes for something not "natively" supported. Should be plenty of them.

A simple but tedious task would be to 'translate' the TeX names in
lib/symbols to MathML entities.

Improving MathML export for existing math inset would be a nice task as
well.

More tricky but still within the scope of a third year assignment would
be work ok tex2lyx.

Andre'