Andre Poenitz wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 12:14:26AM +0100, Christian Ridderström
> wrote:
>> [...] That *is* ubercool...
>
> Just out of interest: I know this usage of 'uber' has 70 year old
> German roots as in 'Übermensch'. 'We' don't use it anymore so it
> seems to be a typical English thing nowadays. I just wonder whether
> dropping the umlaut is now part of this migration or whether
> 'übercool' would be acceptable English as well.

Given the usual English ignorance of all things foreign, I don't think
that it really matters.

FWIW, the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, 1990 edition does not
list either. To my mind that means that neither are 'acceptable' in
any formal sense. Don't use them if you want to impress with your
grasp of written English ;-)

--
Angus