Andre Poenitz wrote:

> I think the crucial translation is top_y -> new_top_y (buffer absolute
> to screen absolute) which should be
>
>> > PS: There'll still be O(n) parts for updateCounters() and similar.
>> > However, those have been there before and were tolerable in 1.3.x.
>>
>> I agree that it's doable. I do think that it's more complex than what we
>> have now. Before getting into details, what exactly are we avoiding,
>> updateParPositions? Are you sure that this is the bottleneck?
>
> We are avoiding several things. First is updateParPositions(), second

I may be wrong, but I don't think this is the bottleneck.

> (and more important) is the need to have a (semi-)correct row cache
> at all. So we would basically never have to call redoParagraph()
> manually.

... which is not really expensive IMO

> And we would not need redoParagraph() in e.g. LyXText::init...

...but this has nothing to do with "editing slowdown"...

So: I may agree that its a reasonable change (I even remember proposing
something along the lines last year), but I don't think we are solving any
performance problem...

Alfredo