In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
> Joachim Krieg wrote:
> > I think the idea to make a bundle LyX installer is very interesting
> > for people who start working with LyX. I know many people who will
> > never try out LyX because installing it is very difficult for them.
> > IMHO a bundled version of LyX would make it more easier and popular.
> > For people who know enough about computers and software a bundle
> > version isn't necessary.
> I'm not adverse to the idea of an "intelligent" Windows installer that will
> grab the necessary and extra stuff *that I ask it to* from the web. In
> other words, a stub installer. However, writing such a thing will involve
> quite some work and subsequent maintenance.
>
> One of the really difficult things in designing such a beast will be to
> satisfy people like me and to also satisfy "ignorant users" who,
> apparently, don't want to think about what they're putting on their
> machine.

You don't need to satisfy both sets of users. That's not the Windows
way. In particular experienced users are willing to deal with the pain
of "Follow the link, find the download site, choose the distribution,
download and install it." They aren't in the audience we're trying to
attract. We're trying to attract the users used to the huge windows
package that includes everything, and lets them choose what they want
at install time, and are willing to put up with the disadvantages of
that in order to *not* have to deal with multiple products. Giving
them that is straightforward (build a directory with everything in it,
and preconfigure LyX to find everything in that directory), that's
what we should give them.

I admit that there's a lot of attraction to the idea of doing it
"right". That's probably why ever Unix distros tools to do that. And
if you do it, every Windows open source developer in the world would
probably thank you. But Windows isn't about doing things right - it's
about making the user happy. Unless someone steps up who's willing to
do it right. LyX should settle for making the user happy.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.mired.org/consulting.html